Name: Laura Hernandez
Institution: University of Wisconsin
Current role with ADSA: Director–Production
- How long have you been involved with ADSA, and what compelled you to join the association?
Since 2005—I joined when I was in graduate school.
- What do you enjoy most about being a board member?
I learn a lot about how the organization works.
- Why is it important for the dairy science community to participate in the association?
If you participate, it is easier to aid the organization in making changes and bringing new ideas to the greater group to move our organization forward.
- What do you think is the most important resource that ADSA provides the scientific community?
A mechanism by which to interact with scientists working in your field of research and to exchange feedback. It also helps with network building.
- What strategic initiative of ADSA are you most passionate about and why?
Engagement with the community and translation of our science.
- What is one pressing challenge for the future of the dairy industry and how is ADSA addressing that through its new strategic plan?
Continued engagement with the broader population and interest in dairy as whole (farm to table).