The Student Affiliate Division of the American Dairy Science Association (ADSA) consists of Student Affiliate chapters across the country. The chapters are local clubs organized at colleges and universities offering courses that pertain to the production of dairy cattle and dairy foods. A local club may be authorized as a Student Affiliate chapter by the Board of Directors of ADSA on petition from a majority of the local club members of ADSA and on recommendation of two professional members of ADSA. Both undergraduate and graduate members of approved Student Affiliate chapters may participate in the affairs and activities of the Student Affiliate Division.
- to provide a channel of communication for the exchange of information among the various member chapters and between ADSA and the member chapters
- to acquaint students with ADSA, its scope, purpose and program
- to develop leadership and promote scholastic achievement among students interested in the dairy industry
The Student Affiliate Awards Program will recognize the following at the ADSA annual meeting [details]:
- Outstanding Student Affiliate Chapter
- Outstanding Student Affiliate Member
- Outstanding Chapter Advisor
- Outstanding Yearbook and Scrapbook
- Undergraduate Paper Presentation Winners
- ADSA Scholarship Recognition
Similar activities are conducted at annual meetings of the Northeast and Southern Regional Divisions of ADSA.
The Student Affiliate Division conducts its national activities at the ADSA Annual Meeting. Two business meetings are held to conduct the Student Affiliate Division business and to elect officers. Members also hold several informal sessions to discuss local club activities and membership. In addition, Student Affiliate members may attend the ADSA sessions of their choice.
Before the national meeting, each active chapter submits an annual written report. The report, which contains information about chapter membership, activities, and finances, is part of the material evaluated in the Outstanding Chapter Contest. Each chapter highlights its year's activities at the national meeting through a display of photographs or slides. This display and either a scrapbook or annual publication is included in the chapter evaluation. Member participation in the Undergraduate Paper Presentation Contest is also part of the Outstanding Chapter Contest.
Benefits of Membership
Membership in the Student Affiliate Division of ADSA is beneficial both for local chapters and for individuals. Click here for club membership materials. Among the opportunities available to members are the following:
- receiving two issues a year of the student newsletter, the Pipeline
- gaining ideas for educational, promotional, social, and fund-raising activities
- increasing awareness of current research efforts
- becoming acquainted with ADSA, an international organization that uniquely represents professionals in every facet of dairy production and diry foods
- discounted subscriptions to the Journal of Dairy Science
- developing relationships and exchanging ideas with students of similar interests from across the nation
- advancing through contacts with dairy industry leaders
- earning scholarship and national leadership recognition
- meeting graduate program advisors